Skip Menu

Be a councillor

Would you like to have more of a say in what goes on in your community? Are you passionate about your local park? Do you believe there should be more available for young people or feel that you could help local businesses to thrive?

Whatever your motivation, stand for what you believe in – be a councillor!

What kind of support will I get

There is a lot of support and advice available to help you make your decision and, if elected, you will have a whole team of people dedicated to helping you get the most out of your experience.

How can I get involved?

Once you’ve decided to get involved and stand as a councillor there are two main routes. You can either stand for one of the political parties/groups or as an independent.

Representing a political party

If you want to represent a political party then get involved with your party locally as soon as possible. They will advise on what is involved and ultimately select a candidate.

Standing as an independent candidate

If you’re thinking of standing as an independent candidate there is a lot of helpful information on the Electoral Commission website. You will need to start becoming aware of issues in your local area, what the council is doing about these issues, and how your own opinion differs from the political parties.

More information

You can find out more information on becoming a councillor on the Local Government Association website.

How to become a Councillor

Councillors play a vital role in shaping and directing the effectiveness of local services for the benefit of local people. Councillors work with public services and with the private sector in order to achieve these aims. The position of the councillor is vital in the local community and is the voice of the community. They are elected to represent you.

In order to stand for election, you need to be:

  • Aged at least 18
  • A British, Commonwealth or European Union Citizen
  • A local elector, or have lived, worked or owned property in the Borough for a year

Co-option of Parish and Town Councillor

Following uncontested elections a Parish/Town Council can fill a vacancy by way of co-option. Applicants must satisfy eligibility criteria and generally would be required to complete an application form (see additional information below), prior to a council meeting to consider applications.

The following guidance and suggested forms have been prepared for the information of Parish/Town Councils and Clerks:

Please note that the above is for general guidance only and is not intended as a full statement of the law.

For further information on co-option procedures and required documentation please contact Gloucestershire Association of Parish and Town Councils (GAPTC).

Parish Clerks should contact Legal Services with the following forms: