Skip Menu

Housing fitness complaints

The council can investigate complaints from tenants in the private rented sector regarding the condition of your property.

You should always attempt to contact your landlord or housing provider in the first instance. This is particularly important for urgent matters such as gas or electrical safety. If your landlord or housing provider fails to provide a satisfactory response then please contact us for assistance.

The types of issues that we can help with include:

  • Damp and mould
  • Inadequate heating
  • Electrical issues
  • Gas safety
  • Overcrowding
  • Fire safety
  • Illegal eviction
  • Provision of basic amenities and welfare facilities.

To report a housing issue please contact us via email or telephone.

Tenants of housing associations and Registered Social Landlords should report the issue to your housing provider in the first instance. In the event that your housing provider does not provide an adequate response then please contact us for assistance.

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

The Council is the licensing authority for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs). We conduct regular inspections of HMO properties to ensure that they comply with statutory management and fire safety standards.

If you are a landlord and would like to apply for a HMO licence then the application form and general advice is available here:

Should you require any further advice regarding HMOs then please contact us.

Disabled Facility Grants (DFGs)

The Council accepts applications for Disabled Facility Grants . This is a means tested  mandatory grant which can help towards the costs of funding property adaptations or facilities required to support independent living.

Examples of the adaptations that the grant can be used to fund include:

  • Providing ramps to allow person to get in and out of their house
  • Provision of stairlifts
  • Level access showers for people who are unable to use a conventional shower or bath.

Before applying for a grant your eligibility must be assessed by an Occupational Therapist based at Gloucestershire County Council.

The Occupational Therapists can be contacted at the following link:
Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) – Gloucestershire County Council

Further general information regarding the DFG process is available here:
Disabled Facilities Grants: Overview – GOV.UK (

Should you have any further queries regarding the DFG process then please contact us.

Warm & Well Gloucestershire

The Council promotes central government funding aimed at improving domestic energy efficiency and reducing the burden of fuel poverty. The scheme is known as Warm & Well Gloucestershire and is currently delivered by Severn Wye Energy on behalf of the Gloucestershire Authorities.

For advice on reducing fuel poverty and the types of assistance that may be available to you please contact Warm & Well.