Advice for landlords and tenants
The Gov.uk website provides guidance for tenants and landlords in the private rented sector to help them understand their rights and responsibilities. It provides a checklist and more detailed information on each stage of the process, including:
- What to look out for before renting.
- Living in a rented home.
- What happens at the end of a tenancy.
- What to do if things go wrong.
- The current versions of documentation landlords should issue tenants at the beginning of tenancies – such as the how to rent guide and the energy performance certification.
- Details of deposit schemes.
Different tenancy types
A tenancy agreement is a contract between landlords and tenants. It sets out the legal terms and conditions of the tenancy. It can be written down or oral.
The Gov.uk website provides up to date information for both landlords and tenants in relation to tenancy types.