Skip Menu

Money and debt

Benefits, financial advice and support

You may be eligible for financial support in the form of Universal Credit, help with rent payments, assistance with debt and advice if you are worried about money.

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs. You may be eligible if you’re on a low income, out of work or cannot work. If you are in receipt of Universal credit, you will need to claim Council Tax reduction with us.

For useful links and contact details of organisations that can offer help and advice on money or any other concerns, visit our financial advice and support webpages.

Help paying your rent

If you are on a low income and not in receipt of Universal Credit, or are of pensionable age, you may be able to make a claim for housing benefits.

If you a struggling to pay your rent and you are claiming either housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit, and need more financial support with housing costs you may qualify or a discretionary housing payment.

Council tax support

You may be able to reduce the amount of council tax you pay if you are entitled to a discount or exemption.

Household Support Fund

Tewkesbury Borough Council have received funding from Gloucestershire County Council so we can provide help with food, fuel and other essential supplies to those in need across the borough.

If you are in need of help, there are organisations who may be able to help you. For more information and support, please visit Household support fund – Tewkesbury Borough Council

If your household needs help with food and energy costs, you can also apply for Gloucestershire County Council’s Household Support Fund. Vouchers and financial support from the fund can be used to help with food, essential kitchen equipment, gas, electricity and water bills, and warm clothing and bedding.

To find out more, visit: Household Support Fund (find out more and apply) – Gloucestershire County Council


National debtline provides free, confidential and independent advice on dealing with debt problems. If you have debt problems, the Government’s Breathing Space scheme can provide legal protection from creditors for a temporary period.

If you are unable to pay your council tax, please contact us immediately to seek help and advice. Even if you’re not entitled to any discounts, it might be possible for a special arrangement to be made. Remember – the sooner you discuss your problem, the more easily it can be resolved.

Citizens Advice can be free of charge for information on a range of subjects including debt and money advice. They can also be contacted if you need support claiming benefits.

Money Navigator Tool

You can access money and debt guidance for free. The Money Navigator Tool from Money Helper UK will provide guidance based on your individual circumstances and help you to find support in your area.

Money Advice Trust is a charity offering debt advice to households, the self-employed and small businesses.

Fuel and energy

Warm and Well scheme

We provide financial support to this county-wide scheme to provide free energy advice to help people to stay warm and well in their homes.

This ranges from simple changes you can make, to helping you access grants for insulation or providing information about renewable technologies. They can help you reduce your energy bills, switch your energy tariff or supplier, and help you find local installers and tradespeople.  They can also offer a free home energy visit and assist in accessing grants and funding.

Ventilating your home is important and there are inexpensive cleaning products in most households’ cupboards that could treat mould effectively before it gets out of hand to cause health issues until proper remedial actions can be put into place.

British Gas Energy Trust is an independent charitable trust set up to support households struggling to pay their bills.

Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding (EBSS Alternative Funding)

The government announced further help with energy bills.


If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, we can provide you with high quality advice and assistance to help you to make informed choices about your housing options. In certain circumstances we may also be able to help with rent in advance or a deposit. Please contact the housing team.


Food banks are community organisations that can help if you can’t afford the food you need.

Tewkesbury’s foodbank is located at 76 Church Street, Tewkesbury, GL20 5RX.

Hungry no more foodbank is located at GL3 Community Hub, Churchdown, Gloucester, GL3 1HX.

North Cotswolds Foodbank has two locations in Tewkesbury Borough:

  • St Michael’s Church Centre, Bishops Cleeve GL52 8BA
  • Encounter Church, 9, Gretton Rd, Winchcombe GL54 5EE

National help

The government is making a range of support available to assist with energy bills; benefits; childcare, household and transport costs; finding work and more.

Discounts are also available with a range of retailers and services, including Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, Iceland, Marks & Spencer, Amazon and more.

Gloucestershire County Council’s Support Hub

Gloucestershire County Council’s Support Hub includes links to helpful information and advice to provide you with the tools you need to save money, look after your mental health and conserve energy.