Skip Menu

Discretionary Housing Payment

You can apply for a DHP if you currently get either:

  • Housing Benefit
  • the housing element of Universal Credit and need more financial support with housing costs

You may get a DHP to cover housing costs for:

  • a rent shortfall
  • rent deposits
  • rent in advance if you need to move home for private landlords only.  If you are a Housing Association tenant, you will be able to come to an arrangement with them to pay the rent in advance over an agreed period of time.

DHP is not a benefit and the council has a limited amount of money each year for those who need extra financial help with their housing costs. You do not have a statutory right to receive a payment.

Each case is considered on its own merits and in accordance with the council’s Discretionary Housing Payments policy which takes both the financial and personal circumstances of the applicant into account.

Any steps that the applicant is taking to address the situation with any shortfall will be considered as well as any efforts they have made to maximise other support available to them.  You should also register on homeseeker plus if you are in a property that is too large for your household.

DHPs cannot cover Council Tax, even if you receive Council Tax Reduction.  If you are experiencing hardship, you may wish to apply for a Council Tax Discretionary Hardship Relief (section 13A) payment – to find out more information and apply, please visit Council tax support – Tewkesbury Borough Council.  This is a discretionary payment that can be awarded based on individual circumstances.

How to claim a DHP

To apply for a DHP, an application form must be completed.  If you are unable to apply using our online form, please contact the Benefits team on 01684 272034 or 01684 272150.

Supporting evidence must be provided at the time of your application; you will need to provide your last two months’ bank statements and proof of rent and any arrears that you are asking for assistance with (please provide a statement of the arrears from the date they started and any payments made towards them and any payment plan in place) as part of your application.  Failure to do so will result in an immediate refusal.  Please also ensure that you use the correct figures when entering amounts spent on gas/electricity/food etc.

The application is considered on the information you provide.  If the application is refused, and you think the figures are incorrect, then you will have to complete a new application form giving your revised figures, as the decision will have been made on the original figures you provided.  Please note, the figures you provide will be checked against your bank statements showing what payments you are making.