Skip Menu

Temporary event notices

Temporary event notices (TENs) are a way that you can get permission to sell alcohol or provide entertainment or late night refreshment on a temporary basis.

To get permission the person organising an event needs to give us a TEN no later than 10 working days before the day on which the event is to start alongside the fee of £21.

A copy of the TEN also needs to be sent to the police and the environmental health officer. Copies will be sent automatically upon completion of our application form.

Whilst the minimum notice you have to give is 10 working days, we would encourage you to serve your TEN as soon as possible during the process of arranging the event to make sure you can get the permission you want.

TENs can be used to allow activities at relatively small events held at any premises where no more than 499 people (including staff and performers) will be present at any one time.

Anyone aged 18 or over can give a maximum of five TENs each calendar year. If you are a personal licence holders, you can give a maximum of fifty TENs each calendar year.

TENs are subject to other rules too, which are set out below:

  • Each event covered by a TEN can last up to a maximum of 168 hours (1 week)
  • No more than 20 TENs can be given in respect of any particular premises each calendar year
  • TENs can only be used to permit activities to take place at a premises on 26 days each calendar year
  • There must be a minimum of 24 hours between any two events organised by the same person and taking place at the same premises

As long as the above rules are followed, only the police or the environmental health officer can intervene to stop an event covered by a TEN from taking place, or to agree changes to the arrangements for the event. The police and environmental health can only intervene where they believe that the event would undermine one or more of the licensing objectives.

Under the Licensing Act 2003, there is no refund for cancelled, withdrawn or refused Temporary Event Notices. Dates can also not be changed.

How to apply

Please complete the application form below. Please make the £21 payment using our online payment facility here: Web payments. Once you have done this, please email the completed application form and payment reference number via email to: The notification will not be accepted without payment.

Once the notification has been received, the team will process and send an acknowledgement letter to you. The team will also send the copies to the Police and Environmental Health on your behalf.

You can apply and using our form below, this is the fastest way for us to receive and process your application.

Further information on temporary event notices can be viewed on the Home Office website.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your notice is granted if you have not heard from us after 10 working days.