Skip Menu

Help from Tewkesbury Borough Council to find private rented accommodation.

If you cannot remain in your current home, you may be advised to look for private rented accommodation.  This is because private rented accommodation enables customers to exercise more choice over the type of property they live in, in an area they want to be, close to support networks such as schools, families etc.

We can help customers to access suitable private rented accommodation with deposit loans (repayable on an affordable repayment plan) and rent in advance.

The deposit will be paid direct to your landlord and returned to you by the landlord at the end of your tenancy – providing you do not breach the terms of your tenancy.

Finding a property yourself

After your housing options interview you will be advised of your rights to stay in your current home.  If you are likely to become homeless, your housing officer will give you written advice on the financial assistance offered by the council to help you access private rented accommodation.  You will also receive written advice on suitability of accommodation i.e. size and rent levels.

Looking for somewhere to live can take a lot of time but is important to prevent you from becoming homeless. You should consider taking the following steps to help you:

  • Look for private advertisements in shop windows, and in local newspapers.
  • Use online search engines to find property to rent.
  • Register with as many estate agents as you can, you can usually do this in person, on the telephone, or online. The more estate agents you register with, the more properties will be available to you.
  • Keep in contact with the estate agents regularly – they might not have any suitable properties when you first speak to them, but properties become available all the time. Keeping in contact also shows the estate agents that you will be a more responsible tenant.
  • Have your documents ready. Landlords and agents will want to confirm your identity, immigration status, credit history and possibly employment status.
  • Do you have the right to rent property in the UK? Landlords must check that all people aged over 18 living in their property as their only or main home have the right to rent.
  • Will you need a rent guarantee? Some landlords might ask someone to guarantee your rent.

You can look for a private rented property in the borough or outside it. When you are looking for a property, you must make sure that you can pay the rent. If you find a property, talk to a housing adviser and they will check whether the rent is affordable. You must speak to an adviser before signing anything or handing over any money to the landlord.

Rent limit

If you have received an offer of a deposit loan and need financial assistance from Tewkesbury Borough Council to access a property, the rent must not be more than the current Local Housing Allowance (LHA), and this is the case whether you are claiming Housing Benefit or not. The LHA for a property is based on the area the property is in and your household size and is the maximum amount of help you can get towards paying your rent. LHA will not cover the rent if the property is larger than you and your household need, so remember this when you are looking for properties.

We will also work closely with customers and support agencies to ensure that all possible assistance is available.  This includes money advice, tenancy related support, support for domestic abuse etc.

Housing options for vulnerable customers

If customers cannot sustain, or need help to manage, an independent tenancy we will work closely with customers to find the most suitable and sustainable housing solution to prevent homelessness.   We can help vulnerable customers with housing related support needs to access supported accommodation in the county, and those with sheltered housing needs to find suitable accommodation.