Skip Menu

Pollution & Nuisance

Noise Nuisance

We can investigate noise nuisance. The types of noise complaints that we can look into may include unreasonable and persistent noise arising from

  • Domestic music and parties.
  • Dog barking.
  • Noise from pubs, licensed premises and events.
  • Building sites and industrial premises.
  • Commercial extraction and ventilation systems.
  • Domestic and commercial alarms.

We are unable to investigate noise which arises from normal domestic activities. This may include use of household appliances such as washing machines, talking, use of stairs, footsteps or children crying.

How to report a noise issue

Before asking us to investigate there are several steps that you should explore yourself to try and resolve the issue. This may include

  • Providing you feel comfortable you could politely approach the person causing the noise to explain your problem.
  • Writing to the person causing the noise explaining the situation and politely asking them to cease or modify the activity.
  • Explore mediation services.

If you are not comfortable approaching the individual responsible for the noise or the above measures have been unsuccessful then please report the issue to us.

How we investigate noise complaints

  • Our Business Support team will verify that the complaint can be investigated by the Council.
  • We will write to you and ask you to complete a set of diary sheets. The purpose of the diary sheets is to demonstrate when and how often the nuisance occurs and the affect it has on you.
  • We will also write to the individual who is allegedly responsible for the nuisance to advise them that a complaint has been made and inform them of the consequences should the complaint be substantiated. Your details will be kept confidential and will not be disclosed at any stage.
  • Should your diary sheets indicate a persistent and unreasonable nuisance then an officer will usually attempt to witness the nuisance. This may be via direct observation at your property or by the use of noise recording equipment installed at your property.

Smoke Nuisance

Burning of Trade Waste

It is illegal to burn any trade waste unless this is covered by an environmental permit or suitable exemption issued by the Environment Agency.

Trade waste should only be disposed of at a site that is properly licensed to receive it or transferred to a person who is authorised to collect and dispose of the waste. If you transport your own waste or waste on behalf of other people then you must possess a waste carriers licence issued by the Environment Agency.

If you transfer trade waste onto another person then you must complete and maintain waste transfer notes.

Domestic bonfires

You must not burn domestic waste in your garden if it is likely to cause pollution or be harmful to health. Any household  waste that cannot be disposed of by your normal waste collections should be taken to your nearest household recycling centre. Garden waste can also be collected by the Councils Garden waste collection service

Details of your nearest household recycling facility are available here:
Recycling – Gloucestershire County Council

Odour nuisance

The Council can investigate odour nuisance issues arising from trade, industrial or business premises. To investigate the complaint we will need

  • The location of the odour nuisance.
  • The source of the nuisance.
  • The duration and frequency of the nuisance.

You may also be asked to submit diary sheets to demonstrate how often the nuisance is occurring and its impact on you.

Air Quality

The Council is responsible for monitoring air quality throughout the borough on a monthly basis. The purpose of the monitoring is to ensure that levels of certain pollutants do not exceed statutory guidelines.

A copy of our recent annual air quality report for the borough are available here:

A copy of our latest monitoring results is available here:

Fly tipping and littering

The Council is committed to tackling environmental crime such as fly tipping and littering and will not hesitate to pursue enforcement action against those responsible.

How to report fly tipping and littering

If you witness fly tipping or littering directly please note the following information

  • Date, time and location of the tip/littering offence.
  • Approximate quantity and nature of the waste.
  • Number of individuals involved.
  • Details of the individuals (If known).
  • Details of any vehicles that may be involved including make, model and registration number.

In the interest of health and safety please avoid handling or disturbing the waste material as it could contain hazardous material such as needles and asbestos.

If you notice evidence in the tip please make this clear on your report and we will send an officer to recover the evidence from the tip as soon as possible.

Anyone caught fly tipping within the borough may receive a fixed penalty fine (FPN) of £400 or a fine of £50,000 upon conviction

Dog fouling

Public Space Protection Order (PSPO)

The Council currently has a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) which creates the following offences in relation to dog fouling

  • Failure by a person in control of a dog to pick up dog faeces.
  • Failure to carry a receptacle to pick up dog faeces.
  • Failure by a person suspected of an offence to provide relevant details to an authorised officer.

The order applies to all public space within the borough. Failure to comply with the order may result in a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) of £100 or a prosecution.

How to report dog fouling

In order to enable us to investigate your complaint fully we will need

  • Location, time and date of the alleged offence.
  • Identity of the person in control of the dog.
  • Any photographs or any other evidence that may assist the investigation.