Skip Menu

Are you at risk of domestic abuse or know someone who is?

Domestic abuse is any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between adults who are or have been in a relationship together, or between family members, regardless of gender or sexuality.

We can help you in many ways:

  • By moving home.
  • By making your home a safe environment for you.
  • By putting you in touch with independent agencies who will support you.

Are you a victim of domestic abuse?

Does your partner (whether male or female):

  • Hit you, slap or kick you?
  • Force you to have sex?
  • Use threats to commit suicide or leave you?
  • Make you do illegal things?
  • Treat you like a servant?
  • Make all decisions without consulting you?
  • Refuse to let you get or keep a job?
  • Make you ask for money or take money?
  • Keep financial matters a secret from you?
  • Threaten to take your money?
  • Make you feel responsible for the abuse?
  • Make you doubt your own judgement?
  • Control who you are friends with?
  • Smash things to intimidate you?

If you can relate to any of these or it is or has happened to you there is a new countywide service designed to reduce the level of domestic abuse and improve the safety of victims and their families.

The Gloucestershire Domestic Abuse Support Service (GDASS) provides an outreach service in all districts. They aim to reduce the number of high-risk cases and cases where people are forced to flee.  GDASS is a one-stop link to many agencies.  They will put you in touch with the right service, reducing the need for you to be passed from one person to the next, which will help you get the help you need as quickly as possible.

Safe at home

Some victims of domestic abuse would rather stay in their own home than go into a refuge or move house. If you are suffering domestic abuse and would prefer to remain in your home, we can help you.

We can install a spy hole, fit door chains, new bolts or locks. With permission, we can even replace a door to a main room with a solid core door, or door frames can be turned round which would enable a door to be opened outwards rather than inwards. We would also look to replace your sim card in your mobile phone.

If the domestic violence unit within the police are involved in your case, we may be able to arrange for an alarm to be installed.

Please contact our Housing Advice team if you feel that any of these actions would enable you to remain in your own home and be safe or if you would like to discuss arranging a housing options appointment. You can contact the team on 01684 272212 or email

Below are a number of links to a range of support agencies who can assist those affected by domestic abuse and violence.