Skip Menu

What is street trading?

Street trading is the selling of goods or food in any “street.” The term ‘street’ includes any road, footway or other area to which the public have access without payment (this can include private land). Typical examples of street trading that goes on in the area include selling hot food from vans parked in lay-bys or on industrial estates and selling ice cream from a mobile van.

We recognise that street trading can provide a useful service to people who live in or visit the Tewkesbury Borough area, particularly in rural areas without many local shops.

Before you can trade in the street in our area you must get a street trading consent issued by us. If a person trades without our consent, then they are committing an offence and can be fined.

We have adopted a policy on street trading, which gives guidance to applicants, officers and councillors on the principles that we will apply when deciding whether or not to grant a street trading consent to somebody.

One off markets and events

If you are organising a market or any event where people are selling goods or services, you must obtain street trading consent. You can apply for a single licence to cover all traders operating at the market or event. If alcohol is being sold, you must also apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

Applications must be made at least 5 weeks ahead of the event. Some streets and areas are prohibited for street trading, these streets are set out in the Council’s Street Trading Policy. If you want to hold a market or event on a prohibited street, the Council’s Licensing Sub Committee will need to determine your application and you will need to make sure that you leave additional time, applying at least 8 weeks in advance of the proposed event date.

There are different fees for single day one off trading, annual markets, day markets and week long markets (up to 7 days in duration). If your event is solely raising money for charity or community causes (non commercial and non profit making), you can apply to request that the fee is waived, please contact the Licensing Team for more information.