If you do not agree with a decision we have made, you can ask for us to look at it again (this is called a reconsideration).  To request a reconsideration, you need to write or email us within one month of the date of the decision to say why you think the decision is wrong and provide any further information you think is relevant.  We will then look at your claim again and write to you once we have done this.  We will aim to reply to you within 21 days.

If we do not change our decision you can appeal to His Majesty’s Courts and Tribunal Service (HMCTS).  To do this you must follow the procedures listed below:

  • Be in writing
  • Be delivered, by whatever means (e.g. post, fax, email, in person) to the Council
  • Provide the name and address of any representative and an address where documents may be sent
  • Signed by the person making the appeal
  • Say what is being appealed and the date of the decision
  • Give the grounds for the appeal
  • Be written and received within one month of the date of the reconsideration letter

If you appeal to HMCTS, we will prepare the submission and send it to them and a copy to you or your representative.  You are then able to add any documents to the bundle yourself (HMCTS will send us a copy so you will not have to).  The hearing can be an oral one or in person and the tribunal will then notify the Council and yourself of their decision (in person hearings are usually notified on the day)