Skip Menu

Guidance notes

It is very important that you notify us straight away of any change in your circumstances that may affect your entitlement to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

Even if you have already told the DWP or the Job Centre about the change, or they allow you to earn a certain amount before you have to let them know, you must tell the council straight away if there is a change as it may affect your entitlement to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

If you don’t let us know straight away, and we later find something that affects your entitlement, you will have to repay any overpaid benefit back to the date of the change and you could be prosecuted.

Also, if you do not tell us within one month of a change that is in your favour, we can only pay any additional benefit from the Monday following the date that you do tell us.

So be sure and tell us!  You can do this by downloading and completing the change in circumstance form and send it to:

Benefits Team,
Tewkesbury Borough Council,
Freepost GL77,
Gloucester Road,
GL20 5BR

Examples of changes that we need to know about (these lists are not exhaustive)

Income & Capital

  • An increase or reduction in earnings
  • A change in the amount of any private pension
  • Changes in income of yourself and/or partner separately or jointly
  • A change in working tax credit/children’s tax credit or other benefit
  • Changes in savings & capital of yourself and/or partner separately or jointly
  • If savings & capital of yourself and/or partner separately or jointly are £16,000 or more
  • Changes to the income and/or in anyone living with you who is age 18 or over who attains the age of 18
  • Any person living in your household starts to receive, or stops receiving, Income Support, Income Based Jobseekers Allowance or Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • Any other changes that occur or have occurred since you completed the claim form for HB/CTR that was taken into consideration in making this award of benefit


  • Birth of a baby
  • A dependent leaves school
  • Any child who ceases to be in full time education
  • If anyone in your household starts or stops work
  • Changes of status e.g., Marriage, separation, Divorce or bereavement


  • Change of address
  • If there are any changes to your rent liability
  • Changes in the number of people living in your household
  • If you or any member of your household are temporarily absent from your property and are likely to be absent for a period of 4 weeks or more outside Great Britain (this is England, Scotland or Wales.  Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not part of Great Britain for Housing Benefit purposes).