We only want you to have to ‘tell us once’
The Tell Us Once service allows bereaved residents to inform many government organisations and public sector pension providers about a death with just one communication.
The service was created to reduce the distress caused by the need to repeatedly talk about the loss of a loved one.
When Tell Us Once has been informed of a person’s death, it will then in turn notify:
- HM Revenue & Customs to update their benefits, credits or personal tax records.
- The Department of Work and Pensions to cancel their benefits and entitlements.
- HM Passport Office to cancel their British passport.
- The DVLA to cancel their driving licence and update the keeper of vehicle information.
- Veterans UK to cancel War Pension Scheme and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payments.
- Their local council to update records relating to housing benefit, council tax, adult social services and the electoral register.
Tell Us Once can also notify many public sector pension schemes, such as the civil service, NHS, armed forces and local government.
A short information video has been produced to explain how the service functions.
To find out more about this service, or to make an appointment with the registrar to register a death, please see the information on the Gloucestershire Registration Service website.
This service is committed to protecting all the information provided to it. Our privacy statement tells you how the information you provide when using this service will be used and protected. Ask the adviser if you wish to see the full privacy statement or you can look it up on the Gov.UK website.
Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that all organisations, that pay you a benefit/credit or provide a service to you, have correct and up to date information about you.