Skip Menu

How to register to vote

If you are not on the electoral register, or you have recently moved and have yet to register to vote, you will need to make an application to register.

You can apply to register to vote online at When making your application you will need to provide your date of birth and National Insurance Number.

Alternatively contact Electoral Services to make an application by telephone or to request a paper application form.

Voting by post or proxy

How to apply to vote by post

If you are registered to vote you can apply for a postal vote.

To download and print a postal vote application form visit

If you are unable to print the application form, contact Electoral Services to arrange for a paper form to be sent.

There are deadlines to apply for, amend or cancel a postal vote in the run up to an election.

You must re-apply for a postal vote if you move or change your name.

How to apply to vote by proxy

If are registered to vote but know that you won’t be able to get to your polling station on polling day you can apply for a proxy vote i.e., someone you trust is appointed to cast your vote for you.

To apply to vote by proxy you have to complete a form and give a reason why you can’t get to the polling station in person. You can download and print the relevant proxy application form

If you are unable to print the form, contact Electoral Services.

There are deadlines to apply for, amend or cancel a proxy vote in the run up to an election.

Electoral and open register

Using information from the public, the Electoral Registration Officer keeps two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the Edited Register).

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:

  • detecting crime (e.g. fraud)
  • calling people for jury service
  • checking credit applications

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

British citizens living overseas

You can register to vote if you are a British citizen living overseas and have been registered to vote in the UK within the last 15 years. You can apply to register to vote at

An overseas elector can only vote in UK Parliament elections.

Serving abroad in the armed forces

If you’re serving outside the UK, you can register as a ‘service’ voter. This means that you only have to renew your registration every five years. You can apply to register to vote at

Public servants are eligible to vote in all UK elections.

Voting as a student

If you’re a student, you may be able to register to vote at both your home address and your term-time address. However, you cannot vote at both addresses in national elections.

For further information visit the Electoral Commission’s website.

Change of name

To change your name on the register of electors you can either:

  • Update your name online at
  • Provide us with a copy of your change of name evidence documents e.g.
    • Marriage or civil partnership certificate
    • Overseas marriage or civil partnership certificate
    • Amended birth certificate
    • Deed poll

You can provide the change of name evidence by emailing a scanned image or photo to Electoral Services or by sending the copy document(s) by post to: Electoral Services, Tewkesbury Borough Council, Public Services Centre, Gloucester Road, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire. GL20 5TT.