Help and support

There are many organisations that can help you if you are in need of help and support. We have created a list of some of the organisations that may be able to help to support you.

List of organisations

  • Age UK
    Age UK is the country’s largest charity dedicated to helping everyone make the most of later life.
  • CCP – Caring for Communities and People
    Preventing homelessness, strengthening families and promoting independence since 1989.
  • Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
    Gloucester and District Citizens Advice Bureau is a registered charity and provides advice services to the residents of Gloucester, Cheltenham, Tewkesbury and surrounding areas.
  • Charity Search / Turn 2 Us
    Charity search is a small national charity based in Bristol. They offer a free service to individuals, aged 50 and above, by sign-posting them to Charities that may be able to help.
  • Christians Against Poverty
    Whether you are feeling the weight of debt, struggling to find work or trying to overcome a dependency – they are there to help.
  • Families First
    Families First is a local name for the national Troubled Families programme. They provide a local network of support for vulnerable families, children and young people.
  • Family Fund
    Family Fund is the UK’s largest grant-giving charity for families raising disabled or seriously ill children, helping 72,043 families last year with over £33 million of grants and services.
  • Foodbank
    Trussell Trust foodbanks provide a minimum of three days emergency food and support to people experiencing crisis in the UK.

  • Gloucestershire Domestic Abuse Support Service
    Gloucestershire Domestic Abuse Support Service (GDASS) is a county-wide service designed to reduce the level of domestic abuse and improve the safety of victims and their families.
  • Help for Households Campaign
    Countries around the world are facing rising goods and energy prices, inflation and cost of living pressures after the pandemic and Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. We know people are worried so the government is offering help for households. See what cost of living support you could be eligible for.
  • HM Revenue & Customs
    HM Revenue & Customs pay and administer Child Benefit, Child Trust Funds and Tax Credits (Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit), as well as collecting taxes such as Income Tax and Inheritance Tax.
  • National Debt Line
    National Debt Line is the helpline that provides free, confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems. They offer advice on their website as well as through their telephone helpline – 0808 808 4000.
  • Pensions Service
    The Pensions Service is part of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). It deals with pensions, benefits and retirement information.
  • Severn Trent Trust Fund
    Severn Trent Trust Fund is a registered charity helping people out of poverty and debt. People unable to meet the cost of their water charges who live in the Severn Trent area can apply for help.
  • Shelter
    Shelter’s housing advice helps millions of people – and they are open 365 days a year.
  • Universal Job Match
    Search for full or part-time jobs in Great Britain and abroad.
  • Welfare Reform Fund
    Gloucestershire Local Welfare Reform Offer scheme has replaced the Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans previously provided by Department of Work and Pensions.  The scheme provides one-off practical support with an emphasis on the use of non-cash awards, recycled goods and food deliveries.