An overpayment of Housing Benefit can occur if your income or capital increases, your rent reduces, a child reaches the age of 18 (or if they leave school at an earlier age to take up an apprenticeship) or if someone moves into or out of your household. This is not a definitive list, so it avoid overpayments you should let us know immediately if your circumstances change. Even if you are not sure if it will affect your benefit, your should tell us anyway.

If an overpayment has arisen on your claim, you will receive a letter informing you of the amount and reason for the overpayment. You have a month, from the date of the notification letter, in which to ask for this decision to be reviewed. If there is another change during the period of the overpayment you have not told us about, please make sure you tell us when you ask us to look at the overpayment again as we may be able to reduce the underpayment further (this is called underlying entitlement).

Once you have been notified of the overpayment and a month has elapsed, we will start to recover it. If you are still in receipt of Housing Benefit, we will start recovering the overpayment from your weekly Housing Benefit entitlement. The current amount we recover is £12.75 per week (2023/24). This can be increased if you are working by half of any earnings disregards applied to your earnings. If you feel you cannot afford the amount we are recovering each week, please call us on 01684 272137 or email to discuss the matter further. You can complete a financial form online at: financial questionnaire online form which will help us to work with you to find the amount you can afford to repay each week. If we agree to reduce the overpayment recovery rate, we will review this every 6 months.

If your Housing Benefit has been cancelled, you will receive an invoice for the outstanding amount and requesting that you pay the balance in full or make an arrangement to pay it back. If you want to discuss a payment plan, pleae call us on 01684 272137 or email, If you have a financial form completed this will help when you ring, otherwise you will be asked to complete the form so we can work out a reasonable payment plan with you.

If you have received too much Council Tax Reduction, this is called a reversal. You will receive a revised bill once we have worked out how much the reversal is. If you are unable to make the monthly payment for your Council Tax, please contact the revenues team on 01684 272034 or email

Pay your overpayment

When paying your overpayment please have your invoice number to hand.

Internet banking/standing order

Request an electronic transfer from your account to your bank account.

Lloyds Bank
Sort code: 30-80-12
Account number: 24598768
Please include your invoice number as the payment reference.

By telephone

You can use either your debit or credit card to make a payment over the phone. Please have your Invoice Number ready, ring 03300 883709. Please note you will be charged the same as dialling a local number (or this will be included in any free call package you have with your mobile phone provider).


You can pay using your debit or credit card, the minimum payment is £1.00, go to Payments – Tewkesbury Borough Council and select Housing Benefit debt/overpayment, then follow the instructions.